Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lucy's first amusement park

Barbara was away all weekend, giving me the perfect excuse to plan a Lucy-centric weekend.

We went to the Big Apple Circus on Saturday afternoon. Lucy's never really been to a show or performance before, so I was surprised how well she behaved. Highlights of the circus, for Lucy, included the trained dogs ("they tickling the lady's leg?") and the colorfully-dressed trapeze artists ("is that a lady or is that a man?"). She was also really impressed that they had a purple light, and at times could turn off the house lights altogether. Now that is TALENT.

Sunday, Aunt Melmel, Lucy, and I headed up to Canobie Lake Park, a small amusement park 45 minutes from Boston. Readers of this blog know how terrified Lucy was of vehicles as mild as rowboats just a few months ago. Thus, it was a wonderful surprise to discover that Lucy loves "thrill rides." They told her she was too short for the log flume, but we did get to go on a small roller coaster. I don't have my own photo of the "Dragon Coaster" - but here's one from the web:

Dragon at Canobie Lake


Lucy called it the "Crocodile Roller Coaster."

I left the camera at home, but my iPhone helped document a bunch of the highlights.

My favorite moment was when Lucy went on the Jungle Jump, a platform that rises high (sort of) in air, then drops suddenly. Lucy giggled all the way - she even took a cue from the older kids and thrust her hands in the air. (I find it especially amusing considering the terrified 8-year-old to her left).

Look below for a slide show of some of the horses, cars, boats, teacups, and other plastic vehicles she got to ride.








No comments: